This episode provides an insight into how the Maplin business was rescued as an online brand and relaunched as a headless Magento solution following its administration.
Listen on your favourite player
Watch the video
Maplin is a much-loved UK brand with a surprisingly large product catalogue and diverse audience. The business sells a large selection of electrical and electronic equipment such as audio/visual devices, components, computer devices and peripherals, as well as everyday electrical items such as batteries and light bulbs.
The original Maplin company operated many retail shops and an extensive mail order service, online and by telephone, until 2018 when it entered administration. It’s now online only having shuttered the stores, so we’re getting under the hood with the new owners to explore how & why the brand is using Magento to power its ecommerce operation.
Tl;dr: what you’ll learn:
- Maplin’s current technology stack
- How Maplin copes with the complexities of managing product data
- Why the business decided to relaunch with a headless solution
Key Discussion Points
- You have an interesting business model, can you let people know how you’ve come to own the Maplin brand?
- Why Magento was chosen as the platform for the new ecommerce business and what impact it has had
- The pros, cons and challenges of building an in-house development team
- Key issues with a complex product catalogue and how Maplin is handling them
- Maplin’s approach to headless Magento commerce
- Advice for other businesses planning to build a headless Magento solution
Want to suggest a topic or guest for a future episode? Contact us via the website or on Twitter.